Blessed are the Meek
Matthew 5:1 Seeing the multitudes, He went up on a mountain, and when He was seated His disciples came to Him. 2 Then He opened His mouth and taught them, saying:
3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven.
7:28 And so it was, when Jesus had ended these sayings, that the people were astonished at His teaching, 29 for He taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
...Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth. (Numbers 12:3 KJV)
I am meek and lowly in heart (Matthew 11:29)
Then little children were brought to Him ...but the disciples rebuked them. But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 19:13-14)
Jesus said to him, “Put your sword in its place, .do you think that I cannot now pray to My Father, and He will provide Me with more than twelve legions of angels? (Matthew 26:50-56)
“A nobleman went into a far country... he called his servants, delivered to them a mina, and said to them, ‘Do business till I come.’... when he returned, ... he commanded these servants... to be called to him... Then came the first, saying, ‘Master, your mina has earned ten minas.’ And he said to him, ‘Well done, good servant; because you were faithful in a very little, have authority over ten cities.’ (Luke 19.11-19 (Abbreviated)
If we endure, we will reign with Him. (2 Timothy 2:12)
To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne… (Revelation 3.21)
QUESTIONS FOR LIFE
Intro/Recap: What does meekness mean? (gentleness, patient, modest, humble, and power
- Jesus called himself, “meek and lowly in heart.” Share some ways that Jesus is meek; that were not mentioned in the sermon.
- Moses was also called “meek” in the bible. Can you think of other bible characters who could be called “meek” Explain why?
- Share stories of times when you or someone you know was NOT meek?
- Tell about ways that non-meek leaders have damaged their influence or hurt people.
- What would be different if the leaders of our businesses, cities, and nation were meek?
- Why is meekness rare in leaders?
- What can you do to help those around you to be meeker? (whether bosses, employees, family members, etc.)
- What are some wrong ways to make those around you meeker?
- Share stories of times when you or someone you know was meek.
- What steps can you take this week to become meek?