Good Father Part 5
1 Kings 18:21 …Elijah said to all the people, “How long will you falter between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow Him; but if Baal, follow him.” But the people answered him not a word.
23 Therefore…let them choose one bull for themselves, cut it in pieces, and lay it on the wood, but put no fire under it; and I will prepare another bull, and lay it on the wood, but put no fire under it. 24 Then you call on the name of your gods, and I will call on the name of the Lord; and the God who answers by fire, He is God.” So all the people said, “It is well spoken.”
25 The prophets of Baal…26…prepared the bull and called on the name of Baal from morning even till noon, saying, “O Baal, hear us!” But there was no voice; no one answered. Then they leaped about the altar which they had made.
27 And so it was, at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, “Cry aloud, for he is a god; either he is meditating, or he is busy, or he is on a journey, or perhaps he is sleeping and must be awakened.”
28 So they cried aloud, and cut themselves, as was their custom, with knives and lances, until blood gushed out on them.
29 And when midday was past, they prophesied until the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice. But there was no voice; no one answered, no one paid attention.
30 Then Elijah said to all the people, “Come near to me.” So all the people came near to him. And he repaired the altar of the Lord that was broken down.
32 He made a trench around the altar. 33 And he put the wood in order, cut the bull in pieces, and laid it on the wood, and said, “Fill four waterpots with water, and pour it on the burnt sacrifice and on the wood.” 34 Then he said, “Do it a second time,” and they did it a second time; and he said, “Do it a third time,” and they did it a third time. 35 So the water ran all around the altar; and he also filled the trench with water.
36 And it came to pass, …that Elijah the prophet came near and said, “Lord God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known this day that You are God in Israel and I am Your servant, and that I have done all these things at Your word. 37 Hear me, O Lord, hear me, that this people may know that You are the Lord God, and that You have turned their hearts back to You again.”
38 Then the fire of the Lord fell and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood and the stones and the dust, and it licked up the water that was in the trench. 39 Now when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces; and they said, “The Lord, He is God! The Lord, He is God!”
Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,
Psalm 14:1 The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.”
Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
QUESTIONS FOR LIFE
- Have you ever been told there is no God, all religions lead to God, or have you ever doubted God’s existence? How did today’s message help you?
- If you were a witness the day God lit the altar on fire, how would it have changed your understanding of God?
- We sometimes falter between 2 opinions of God. Can you share about a time (maybe that time is now) when you have done this?
- Name something you have seen in creation where you knew without a shadow of a doubt, that there is a God.
- Do you think there is a difference between generations seeing God in creation?
- If you have children/grandchildren, how can you arouse their curiosity about creation?
- The Earth is very large compared to humans, yet so small in our universe. However, God still wants to have a personal relationship with you. How does that affect your view of God?
- Imagine sending your child to die for the sins of the world. Our Good Father did that for us. What impact will that have on how you live your life?