Kill the Voice!
John 5:5 Now a certain man was there who had an infirmity thirty-eight years. 8 Jesus said to him, “Rise, take up your bed and walk.” 9 And immediately the man was made well, took up his bed, and walked. And that day was the Sabbath. 10 The Jews therefore said to him who was cured, “It is the Sabbath; it is not lawful for you to carry your bed.” 16 For this reason the Jews persecuted Jesus, and sought to kill Him, because He had done these things on the Sabbath.
17 But Jesus answered them, “My Father has been working until now, and I have been working.” 18 Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.
19 Then Jesus answered and said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner.
20 For the Father loves the Son, and shows Him all things that He Himself does; and He will show Him greater works than these, that you may marvel. 21 For as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will.
22 For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son, 23 that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.
28 “The hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice 29 and come forth…to the resurrection of life…to the resurrection of condemnation.”
Exodus 20:8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work.”
Matthew 12:11 Then He said to them, “What man is there among you who has one sheep, and if it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will not lay hold of it and lift it out? 12 Of how much more value then is a man than a sheep? Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.”
John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”
John 20:31 These are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.
Philippians 2:9 God has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow…11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.
Matthew 7:22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me.”
QUESTIONS FOR LIFE
1.Please read this passage: The Jews persecuted Jesus, and sought to kill Him, because He had done these things on the Sabbath. John 5:16
2. Based on this passage, what do you think the Jewish religious leaders believed that one must do to be right with God?
3. Can you tell your group about people you know who have (or had) this same mindset, (maybe even you)?
4. If you no longer have that mindset, what brought about the change?
5. Please consider these circles:
6. Have these circles helped you? If so, please explain.
7. How could you use (or have you used) these circles to help someone else?
8. Please read these passages: For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son, that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:22-23
God has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow… and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. Philippians 2:9-11
Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me.” Matthew 7:22-23
9. Based on these passages, what will unsaved people do on their day of judgment?
10.Does this information differ in any way with what you used to think? If so, please explain.
11. How does your answer to question number 9 make you feel about people in hell?
12. How does your answer to question number 9 make you feel about God?
13. Please read this passage: He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him. John 5:23
14. From this passage, what is Jesus saying to those who say that Jesus is not the only way to heaven?