The king’s dream
Daniel 2:31 “You, O king, were watching; and behold, a great image…whose splendor was excellent, stood before you; and its form was awesome. 32 This image’s head was of fine gold, its chest and arms of silver, its belly and thighs of bronze, 33 its legs of iron, its feet partly of iron and partly of clay.
34 You watched while a stone…struck the image on its feet of iron and clay, and broke them in pieces. 35 Then the iron, the clay, the bronze, the silver, and the gold were crushed together, and became like chaff from the summer threshing floors; the wind carried them away so that no trace of them was found. And the stone that struck the image became a great mountain and filled the whole earth.
36 “This is the dream. Now we will tell the interpretation of it before the king.
37 You, O king, are a king of kings. For the God of heaven has given you a kingdom, power, strength, and glory. 38 You are this head of gold.
39 But after you shall arise another kingdom inferior to yours;
Daniel 5:28 …the Medes and Persians.
then a third kingdom of bronze, which shall rule overall the earth.
Daniel 8:21 …the kingdom of Greece…
40 And the fourth kingdom shall be as strong as iron; and like iron that crushes, that kingdom will break in pieces and crush all the others.
41 Whereas you saw the feet and toes…the kingdom shall be divided. 42 And as the toes of the feet were partly of iron and partly of clay, so the kingdom shall be partly strong and partly fragile.
Daniel 7:23 …a fourth kingdom…24…ten kings shall arise from this kingdom.
Revelation 17:12 …ten kings…13…will give their power and authority to the beast. 14 These will make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them.
44 And in the days of these kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom which shall never be destroyed. Itshall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand forever.
Revelation 11:15 There were loud voices in heaven, saying, “The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!”
45 You saw the stone…that it broke in pieces the iron, the bronze, the clay, the silver, and the gold. The great God has made known to the king what will come to pass. The dream is certain, and its interpretation is sure.”
46 Then King Nebuchadnezzar fell on his face, prostrate before Daniel, and commanded that they should present an offering and incense to him. 47 The king answered Daniel, and said, “Truly your God is the God of gods, the Lord of kings, and a revealer of secrets, since you could reveal this secret.” 48 Then the king promoted Daniel and gave him many great gifts; and he made him ruler over the whole province of Babylon, and chief administrator over all the wise men of Babylon. 49 Also Daniel petitionedthe king, and he set Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego over the affairs of the province of Babylon.
Philippians 2:9 God has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, 11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
QUESTIONS FOR LIFE
1. Is there anything you learned in today’s passages and message that was new to you?
2. In what ways does Daniel’s explanation of the king’s dream help you?
3. In what ways does the king’s response to Daniel’s explanation of the dream help you?
4. How do you (or can you) respond to prophecy in ways similar to the ways that the king responded to prophecy?
5. Please read Matthew 6:9-10, 13 9 In this manner, therefore, pray Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. 10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. 13 For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever.
6. In what ways can (or does) this passage further help you to answer question #4?
7. Please read Matthew 24:44-4744 Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his master made ruler over his household, to give them food in due season? 46 Blessed is that servant whom his master, hen he comes, will find so doing. 47 Assuredly, I say to you that he will make him ruler over all his goods.
8. In what ways can (or does) this passage further help you to answer question #4?
9. Please read Revelation 22:12 12 Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to everyone according to his work.
10. In what ways can (or does) this passage further help you to answer question #4?