The Throne – Who sits on yours?
Joshua 23:1 Now it came to pass, a long time after the Lord had given rest to Israel from all their enemies round about, that Joshua was old, advanced in age. 2 And Joshua called for all Israel, for their elders, for their heads, for their judges, and for their officers, and said to them: 24:15 “Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”
16 So the people answered and said: “Far be it from us that we should forsake the Lord to serve other gods; 17 for the Lord our God is He who brought us and our fathers up out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage, who did those great signs in our sight, and preserved us in all the way that we went and among all the people through whom we passed. 18 And the Lord drove out from before us all the people, who dwelt in the land. We also will serve the Lord, for He is our God.”
Judges 2:7 So the people served the Lord all the days of Joshua, and all the days of the elders who outlived Joshua, who had seen all the great works of the Lord which He had done for Israel.
10 When all that generation had been gathered to their fathers, another generation arose after them who did not know the Lord nor the work which He had done for Israel. 12 They forsook the Lord God of their fathers, who had brought them out of the land of Egypt; and they followed other gods from among the gods of the people who were all around them, and they bowed down to them; and they provoked the Lord to anger.
14 And the anger of the Lord was hot against Israel. So He delivered them into the hands of plunderers who despoiled them; and He sold them into the hands of their enemies all around, so that they could no longer stand before their enemies. 15 And they were greatly distressed.
QUESTIONS FOR LIFE
1. Read Joshua 24:15
“Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”
2. Was there a time in your life that you especially remember placing God on the throne of your life? Maybe that time is now. Please explain.
3. Please explain what life was like when you had God on your throne, or what life is like now if He is on your throne.
4. The Israelites remembered all the great things God had done for them, and it helped them place Him on their throne. What are some good things God has done for you to help you do the same?
5. Please discuss something or someone that you have placed on your throne in the past, or something or someone that you might have on your throne now.
6. Please explain what life was like when other gods were on your throne, or what life is like now if other gods are on your throne.
7. How does it make you feel to know that God gets angry when you take Him off your throne and that He may discipline you?
8. Why is it so hard to keep God on your throne?
9. Why is it so easy to forget the good things God has done for you?
10. Remembrance/Thanksgiving and God’s discipline are great motivators to help you keep God on your throne. What do you do that helps you to remember to keep God on your throne?
11. If you are struggling with serving other gods, ask your group to pray for you to help you put God back on the throne of your life.