Preacher: Bob Bryant | Series: The People of the Apocalypse
Revelation 12:9 The great dragon… that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan…
13:1 I saw a beast. 2 The dragon gave him his power.
II Thessalonians 2:3 The man of sin… 4 sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.
Matthew 24:15 “When you see the abomination of desolation… standing in the holy place, 16 then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains.”
Revelation 12:6 The woman [Israel] fled into the wilderness, where she has a place prepared by God, that they should feed her there one thousand two hundred and sixty days.
7 And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, 8 but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer. 9 So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. 10 Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, “The accuser of our brethren, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down. 11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death. 12 Therefore rejoice, O heavens, and you who dwell in them! Woe to the inhabitants of the earth and the sea! For the devil has come down to you, having great wrath, because he knows that he has a short time.”
13 Now when the dragon saw that he had been cast to the earth, he persecuted the woman…15 So the serpent spewed water out of his mouth like a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away by the flood. 16 But the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed up the flood which the dragon had spewed out of his mouth. 17 And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to make war with the rest of her offspring, who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
16:13 The dragon… the beast and 14 the kings of the earth… 16 gathered together to the place called… Armageddon. 19:19 And I saw the beast, the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against Him who sat on the horse and against His army.
20:1 Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven… 2 He laid hold of the dragon, that serpent of old, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years; 3 and he cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, so that he should deceive the nations no more till the thousand years were finished.
7 Now when the thousand years have expired, Satan will be released from his prison 8 and will go out to deceive the nations… to gather them together to battle, whose number is as the sand of the sea. 9 They…surrounded…the beloved city. And fire came down from God out of heaven and devoured them. 10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire… tormented day and night forever and ever.
QUESTIONS FOR LIFE
1. Please read the following passages:
The great dragon… that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; Revelation 12:9
Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them. And the Lord said to Satan, “From where do you come?” So Satan answered the Lord and said, “From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking back and forth on it.” Then the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered My servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, one who fears God and shuns evil?” So Satan answered the Lord and said, “Does Job fear God for nothing? Have you not made a hedge around him, around his household, and around all that he has on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. But now, stretch out Your hand and touch all that he has, and he will surely curse You to Your face!” And the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, all that he has is in your power; only do not lay a hand on his person.” Job 1:6-12
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8
2. Based on these passages, please discuss the answers to these questions: What’s he doing? In what ways do you think God’s interaction with Satan in the Job passage relates to you? What’s his goal? Where is Satan today?
3. Please read this passage: And they overcame him [Satan] by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death. Revelation 12:11
4. Based on this passage, please answer these questions: How do believers (in the tribulation and today) overcome Satan? (“the word of their testimony” means “the Bible which they testify to believe and proclaim.”)
5. What does it mean (and not mean) to overcome Satan?
6. Please read this passage: Now when the thousand years have expired, Satan will be released from his prison and will go out to deceive the nations… to gather them together to battle, whose number is as the sand of the sea. They…surrounded…the beloved city. And fire came down from God out of heaven and devoured them. Revelation 20:7-9
7. Based on this passage, what do we learn about: Mankind (including you)? God? Satan?
8. Please read this passage: The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire… tormented day and night forever and ever. Revelation 20:10
9. In what ways do you think your understanding of this passage should influence your life?